Guilford Free LibraryTrustees online and in person Meeting

Guilford, Vermont

Monday November 21st, 2022 6:30pm

Trustees present: Judith Serkin, John Shaw (present at Library), Sandra Cortes, Richard
Wizansky, Jeannette Tokarz and Nika Fotopulos
Librarian present at Library: Cathi Wilken
Trustees absent: Laura Lawson Tucker
Friends present: Lesley Malouin
Meeting began at 6:33pm
Accepted minutes from September meetings
Librarian’s Report – Cathi
Halloween was a success, about 150 people came.
Book donations: our policy is we don’t accept book donations. Books weeded from our
collection are brought to the Fair to sell by donation. We will consider organizing an additional
book sale, with a short timeframe to receive donations prior and then securing a location to
donate any left overs.
Treasurer’s Report – John
We are on track. In the Program Expenses Other category, we are over-budget. This was for the
2 weeks of Stage and Stream and those expenses were paid for with grants received.
Building Expansion Project
Trustees have voted to not hire a consultant at this time.
Trustees will look over a comprehensive list of questions to assess readiness for a capital
campaign and work on strengthening our affirmatives to this list.
We discussed PR activities, our goal is to have monthly public events and programming to
reach out in new ways and more frequently.
Fundraiser letter
Richard, John, Nika and Jeannette will take over the letters not yet sent out. $1100 has come in
so far. Thank you letters are not ready to go out yet, Richard will write that up. Cathi will be in
touch with Friends and Trustees.
Leslie made up a giving Tuesday graphic to go out on Social Media.
Review and approve budget
Cathi figured the cost of living salary increases at 3%.
New Business
Discussion of programming brought out several ideas. Such as:

  • Return of Back Roads Stories, theme ideas of mud season, Guilford stories and hunting
  • Poetry readings
  • Winter astronomy event with telescope
  • Adult crafting like paper book making
  • Return of winter Penpals
  • Meeting adjourned 7:40pm
    Next Monthly Trustees Meeting December 19th, at 6:30pm
    Minutes by Secretary, Nika Fotopulos
Advertisement
Guilford Free LibraryTrustees online and in person Meeting

Trustees In-Person or On-Line Meeting

Guilford Free Library,  Mon November 21, 2022– 6:30 PM

                     

                    

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82354813502?pwd=eS9pcDg1N1dIeWpMY2VYaHU5enhmUT09

Meeting ID: 823 5481 3502

Passcode: 000967

One tap mobile

+13126266799,,82354813502#,,,,*000967# US (Chicago)

Judith will chair.

·      Accept Minutes from September meetings.

          Make any additions, corrections and/or deletions as necessary.

·      Librarian’s Report — Cathi

o   Book donations question

·      Treasurer’s Report- John

·      Building Expansion Project Update

  • Decision on Capital Campaign Study
  • Discuss PR activities and plan

·      Fundraising Letter

  • Be sure to have letters mailed before the meeting
    • Thanks you letters

           •  Review and approve budget

·      New Business- Anything forgotten?

***Next monthly Trustees Meeting:  Monday December 19, 2022 at 6:30 pm

Trustees In-Person or On-Line Meeting

Guilford Free Library

                      Trustees In-Person or On-Line Meeting

                      Due to Covid-19 Situation

                           Guilford, Vermont

                                    Mon October 17, 2022– 6:30 pm

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82354813502?pwd=eS9pcDg1N1dIeWpMY2VYaHU5enhmUT09

Meeting ID: 823 5481 3502

Passcode: 000967

One tap mobile

+13126266799,,82354813502#,,,,*000967# US (Chicago)

  • Accept Minutes from September meetings.

          Make any additions, corrections and/or deletions as necessary.

  • Librarian’s Report — Cathi
  • Change for Storytime
  • Treasurer’s Report- John
  • Building Expansion Project Update
  • Decision on Capital Campaign Study
  • Fundraising Letter
  • Hallowe’en Program
  • Plan of action
  • Friends of the Library
  • meeting 10/23
  • New Business- Anything forgotten?

***Next monthly Trustees Meeting:  Monday November 21, 2022 at 6:30 pm

Guilford Free Library

Guilford Free Library Trustee Special Meeting

August 1, 6:30 PM

All were present in-person.

Trustees present: Jeannette Tokarz, Sandra Cortes, Laura Lawson Tucker, Judith Serkin, John Shaw, Nika Fotopulos

Trustee absent: Richard Wizansky

others present: Cathi Wilken (Librarian), Lesley Malouin (Friend), Jody Hauser (Friend).

Meeting began at 6:40

Discussion about spending some of our own Library raised money to hire a professional to do fundraising for grants. This would be using funds the Friends have raised, it does not relate to the town allocated funds.

There was a discussion of simpler ways to achieve the components of the previous plans.

Motion to table the vote to hire a grant writer for a future meeting after more research. All in favor.

meeting adjourned at 7:31

Next monthly meeting Monday August 15th 2022 at 6:30pm

minutes by Secretary,

Nika Fotopulos

Guilford Free Library Trustee Special Meeting

Trustees In-Person or On-Line Meeting Special Meeting. Mon, August 1, 2022– 6:30 pm

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82354813502?pwd=eS9pcDg1N1dIeWpMY2VYaHU5enhmUT09

Meeting ID: 823 5481 3502

Passcode: 000967

One tap mobile

+13126266799,,82354813502#,,,,*000967# US (Chicago)

  • To decide if we should use money we have raised to hire a professional to write and submit grant proposals for upcoming grant monies.

***Next monthly Trustees Meeting:  Monday August 15, 2022 at 6:30 pm

Trustees In-Person or On-Line Meeting Special Meeting. Mon, August 1, 2022– 6:30 pm

Trustees On-Line Meeting

Due to Covid-19 Situation

Guilford Free Library

Guilford, Vermont

Monday July 18, 2022– 6:30 pm

Trustees present: John Shaw, Sandra Cortes, Jeannette Tokarz, Nika Fotopulos

Librarian Present: Cathi Wilken

others present: Lesley Malouin (Friend), Linda Hay (Friend)

Trustees absent: Judith Serkin, Laura Lawson Tucker, Richard Wizansky

Meeting began at 6:33

  • Accepted Minutes from June meeting
  • Librarian’s Report — Cathi

o Summer Camps have begun: Soccer was a success with 9 kids, Peter got sick after the first day and then left. Chuck Collins came to replace, Matt was co-teaching and Erin was assisting, they all did a great job.

o Catalog: the new catalogue is up and running. It has ebooks and downloadable audio books. We can buy downloadable books that are requested by our patrons to add to this catalogue. Sandra and Cathi will look in to interlibrary loan downloadable possibilities to avoid spending so much money.

Cathi bought a lot of new books and so needs to weed more books from our collection. Idea to put out give away books at the hot dog roast.

The library now has a new owl camera. It is very helpful for book discussion group, hybrid meetings and story time.

  • Treasurer’s Report- John

We are at the end of our fiscal year, with just a few bills trickling in. Our fundraising was much higher this year than budgeted, so great work to the Trustees and Friends! The salaries are paid directly through the town now so the budget of salaries doesn’t include them. The 4 computers were above budget but was covered by the AARPA funding, and the owl camera was also covered by such a grant. Last year’s program budgeting was higher to pay for Julian during camp.

  • Building Expansion Project Update

Laura was in Maine last week with her cousin who’s a builder and he has been working a lot with libraries. He agreed to make suggestions for free about the library expansion project after looking at the plans.

Linda asked to see the report on the ceiling damage, but was refused. Jeannette got to see it though last year. The budget for that was $110, 000 with only one bid. the flooring joists can’t support the weight of the books in a future library scenario. Linda has pulled back from pushing this forward.

  • Review By-laws

it was on the calendar to do. It was last edited in November. With only 4 trustees present today, we decided not to review them. But John (interim chair for this meeting) will ask Laura if she would like it to be on next month’s agenda.

  • Deep clean of the Library

o Plan of action

Nika proposed this Trustee/Friends initiative to get together in person, casually and do some deep cleaning, or any other helpful library maintenance. This apparently use to be a yearly thing. But now that we have the cleaning service, Cathi said there is less need for it.

Nika will get in touch with Cathi and Leah to make a list of helpful to dos. And will coordinate a weekend date where all Friends and Trustees will be invited to help out and be together.

It was mentioned that if more than 3 trustees are present at this cleaning day, we have to post it 24hrs in advance.

  • Friends of the Library—Lesley

o Friends meeting will happen at the hot dog roast instead of the 7/25 date. Which is scheduled for 8/17 at 5 pm. Lesley will do graphics for the hot dog roast.

  • New Business-

Sandra thinks it would be nice to meet outside, effort to meet outside next August 15th meeting, and there could still be a hybrid zoom with the owl camera for those who aren’t able or comfortable. We could meet under the tents.

Lesley offered to spruce up the library logo and make it crisper.

Meeting adjourned at 7:41pm

***Next monthly Trustees Meeting:  Monday August 15, 2022 at 6:30 pm

Meeting minutes by Secretary,

Nika Fotopulos

Trustees On-Line Meeting

Trustees On-Line Meeting  Due to Covid-19 Situation

Guilford Free Library

Guilford, Vermont

Mon July 18, 2022– 6:30 pm

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82354813502?pwd=eS9pcDg1N1dIeWpMY2VYaHU5enhmUT09

Meeting ID: 823 5481 3502

Passcode: 000967

One tap mobile

+13126266799,,82354813502#,,,,*000967# US (Chicago)

  • Accept Minutes from June meetings.

          Make any additions, corrections and/or deletions as necessary.

  • Librarian’s Report — Cathi
  • Summer Camps have begun
  • Catalog
  • Treasurer’s Report- John
  • Building Expansion Project Update
  • Review By-laws
  • Deep clean of the Library
  • Plan of action
  • Friends of the Library—Lesley
  • meeting 7/25
  • New Business- Anything forgotten?

***Next monthly Trustees Meeting:  Monday August 15, 2022 at 6:30 pm

Trustees On-Line Meeting  Due to Covid-19 Situation

Guilford Free Library Trustees Online Meeting due to Covid 19 Situation

Guilford, Vermont

Monday June 20th, 2022 6:30 pm

Trustees present: Laura Lawson Tucker, Judith Serkin, Richard Wizansky, John Shaw, Jeannette Tokarz, Nika Fotopulos

Librarian: Cathi Wilken present at the library

Friends: Amber Hunt, Lesley Malouin, Linda Hay

Trustee absent: Sandra Cortes

Meeting began at 6:32

Accepted minutes from April and May meetings

Librarian’s report – Cathi

  • summer camps – start in a month

The younger group is over enrolled, the young stage and stream has 11 kids and the older stage and stream is under enrolled for the 2 weeks. But all camps are a go.

June storytime is just in person and July will be a hybrid again.

  • Thank you notes need to be written by a Trustee asap, please stop by the library to pick those up and send out if you can.
  • The library has overall been busy.
  • Cathi has been doing a weeding of books and will be hosting a book give away soon.
  • There will be a new face on the online catamount catalogue starting on June 29th, it is expected to be easier to use. There are still no downloadable audiobooks, but when it happens, as promised, it should be integrated with our new catalogue.

Treasurer’s report – John

  • We are approaching the end of our fiscal year at the end of the month.
  • The raffle raised over $3000, a great success!
  • The interest is a little below, but it is minimal.
  • We have a reimbursed expense that is odd, because for a gazette payment the Friends of the Library card was not available when needed, so the private payment was reimbursed.
  • A Paypal fee was due to the donations that came in with the raffle.
  • Penny said that the Selectboard passed a 5% increase in salaries for all town employees starting July 1st.
  • In the materials total we spent only half of what we planned. But Cathi has weeded heavily our collections and has since spent most of the remainder of those materials budget. So new books are on the way.

Building Expansion Project Update

According to communication with Peter Rude, the library can move forward with an addition, if a proposal is approved by the Selectboard and Trustees, and does not affect the town budget.

We heard from each Trustee about how they feel after the re-vote and how they would like to move forward.

  • Sandra was not present but Laura shared that she is burnt out, but really wants the project to move forward with the plans as is, if we can fundraise the amount.
  • Cathi wants to go ahead as well. And believes there is a lot of grant money out there. But also has been considering an alternative plan that wouldn’t cost as much, which would have just a second floor with no stairs and elevator.
  • John agrees there is a need for space, and agrees to move forward with an addition, but not rapidly and sees the value of doing another PR campaign around it so as not to ignite resentment.
  • Nika echoes the need for space, while feeling cautious to move forward too hastily. The re-vote brought out a lot of public concerns even amidst the misinformation. And would like to see a consideration of other alternatives, with more transparency and input from the public along the way.
  • Judith feels similar to John and Nika, and wants us to focus on dispelling the misinformation about the library, and feels we made a mistake in not communicating and sharing the excitement and possibilities of the project sooner. Accessibility is a very important aspect of the library addition, and wishes we could reach out with that message with more success.
  • Jeannette says it is clear that the library needs more space. But we are all burnt out and maybe we need a break. She wants to explore plan B and C. Sarah Coffey has shared that popular support from the town is important to receive grants and state funding.
  • Richard wants us to know that he believes Guilford has been targeted by a republican strategy. He feels misinformation is rampant and we need to confront that. He suggested we need to hire a fundraising consultant to move forward with the present addition plans. Even with the re-vote, community support is here, because the vote initially did pass. We have the money to start the capital campaign. And he is also interested in looking more at connecting the Meeting House to the Library as a possible plan.
  • Laura is thinking a lot about what the Selecboard might look like next March, when Richard resigns and Verandah is up for re-election. She is feeling a sense of urgency to the project, because we might not have support for a library addition like we do now on the Selectboard.

We as a trustees group need to come to consensus before going to the Selectboard about any addition proposal. We may want to look at ways to propose and get public input on several plan Bs. Any proposal could be presented to the planning commission before the Selectboard for further town input.

Meeting House/Library considerations:

There is a consideration of exploring connecting the Meeting House and the Library with an inclosed covered, unheated walkway.

Laura is concerned about loosing our precious green space.

  • Linda Hay shared her thoughts and knowledge of this possible addition: She is a retired librarian for 50 years with a lot of experience in Library architecture. She showed a sketch of creating a breezeway from the Library to the Meeting house. Preservation organizations want these old buildings to be a living and active space, not a museum or abandoned. Her idea is that the Meeting House would be the adult services collection. The front of the sanctuary would remain with a platform and a few pews, to host small events. There would be a need to improve the insulation, repair the holes in the roof (which will happen this summer), repair the ceiling (there has been only one estimate for this, which is quite a costly repair). The connection to the Library, which has running water and septic system, would mean the adults can come through the covered walkway to use the washroom. The walkway would then offer the opportunity to have an exhibit space on those walls.

Richard and Cathi feel we need to come up with a committee to explore the possibility of the Meeting House plan.

Richard will re-send out the architects report on the Meeting House and feasibility study.

Jeannette recommended that we talk to an architect to consider the Meeting House and the Library as being connected, since this is a new approach to assessing the buildings.

The Selectboard would have to approve owning the meeting house, and then this Meeting House/Library connection would be voted on through the town in March at Town Meeting. We would need to convince them to maintain the building and make it ADA accessible to the second floor and all the repair and renovation costs involved.

Laura will get her cousin to get fresh eyes on the project and our need for more space and see if he can help us come with a simpler version.

Librarian evaluation

  • Trustees need to send their librarian evaluation by July 11th to Laura and cc Judith.

Friends of the Library – Lesley

  • report on Concert/Raffle, it was a huge success and great time for all. They are hoping this becomes an annual tradition.
  • trustee/friends social to happen during Hot Dog Roast.
  • new projects, none for now.

New Business

The hot dog roast will be Wednesday August 17th. Trustees and Friends will be invited to join.

Laura wants to appreciate the Trustees and the Friends for all the help and hard work with the re-vote and the expansion project.

Jeannette wants to invite all to join a meeting tomorrow for the pedestrian/bike path presentation of 3 alternatives.

Meeting adjourned at 7:52

Next monthly Trustees Meeting: Monday July 18, 2022 at 6:30 pm

Minutes by Secretary, Nika Fotopulos

Guilford Free Library Trustees Online Meeting due to Covid 19 Situation

Trustees HYBRID Monthly Meeting-                                      Mon April 18, 2022– 6:30 pm

Cathi will be present at the library for the meeting.

Others are invited to join Cathi at the library for the meeting or attend online.

Friends of the Library group are invited to join us during

all Trustee meetings.

Please plan on our meeting to last 1.5 hours–from 6:30- 8 pm. We will accomplish all of our regular business during the first half hour. Then we will dedicate one hour during this meeting for developing our public relations plan and strategies leading up to the town REVOTE on Tuesday May 24.

  • Accept Minutes from March meeting.
  • Make any additions and/or deletions as necessary.
  • Vote on slate of Trustee Officers
  • Librarian’s ReportCathi
  • Storytime Update- HYBRID!
  • Camp Update
  • Treasurer’s Report- Richard
  • Report on March 2022
  • Friends of the Library- Representative
  • Anything to report?
  • Building Expansion
  • Create strategies and a PR plan in preparation for the REVOTE on TUESDAY May 24,2022
  • New Business (Anything forgotten on this agenda?)

***Next monthly Trustees Meeting:  Monday May 16, 2022 at 6:30 pm

ON ZOOM and IN-PERSON at the library. 

Trustees HYBRID Monthly Meeting-                                      Mon April 18, 2022– 6:30 pm

                      Trustees On-Line Meeting Agenda

  Mon, March 21, 2022– 6:30 pm

  • Accept Minutes from February meeting. Make any additions and/or deletions as necessary.
  • Librarian’s ReportCathi
    •          Summer Reading Program
    •          Downloadable Audiobooks
  •  
  • Treasurer’s Report- Richard
  • Report on February 2022
  • Expansion Project-with consultant Isaac Wagner
  • Discussion of Next Steps on Expansion Project
  • New Business (Anything forgotten on this agenda?)

***Next monthly Trustees Meeting:  Monday April 18, 2022 at 6:30 pm ON ZOOM.

Link to Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82354813502?pwd=eS9pcDg1N1dIeWpMY2VYaHU5enhmUT09

Meeting ID: 823 5481 3502

Passcode: 000967

One tap mobile

+13126266799,,82354813502#,,,,*000967# US (Chicago)

                      Trustees On-Line Meeting Agenda